Miovision collects personal information for the purposes outlined below and will identify the purposes for which Personal Information is collected at or before the time it is collected. If Miovision seeks to use Personal Information that has been collected for a purpose not previously identified, it will seek your consent prior to use, unless it is otherwise required by law.
If you wish to withdraw (revoke) your consent for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information at any time, please contact us at [email protected] Your withdrawal of consent is not retroactive, since Miovision may already have used your information for the purposes described here; it will be applied on a go-forward basis.
What information do we collect about you?
- Account and profile information: You may provide us with profile information such as your e-mail address, username and password when you create an account, or when you edit your account information. You may also provide us with payment information when you sign-up for a paid service.
- Content you provide through our products: Some of our products enable recording and/or uploading of video. When you choose to record or upload video it is stored in Miovision systems. Other data, for example traffic control information or anonymized device data, may be stored in our systems based on request(s) from municipal governments.
- Content you provide through our websites: You may provide us with your contact and other information to be used, as an example, for marketing purposes. We also retain usage data to understand how our customers use our products and websites.
How do we use the information we collect?
We use the information we collect for the following purposes:
To provide the services and personalize your experience
- We use identity and profile information to determine which applications and functionality you should have access to. This information is not shared except in cases where we have obtained your express consent.
- We process video of public traffic situations using manual and automated tools to provide anonymous, aggregate counts of vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians.
Research and development
- We retain samples of traffic video, data and completed traffic studies for the purpose of training and validating our algorithms.
- We retain usage data, in some cases via third-party tools, to understand how our customers use our products as well as to assist with troubleshooting and support.
How we share the information we collect
How we retain the information we collect
Miovision retains profile information you provide to create your account for only as long as you maintain an account with us. You may choose to delete your account directly or make an account closure request to Miovision.
Personal information used to provide the services and video data may be retained for as long as we have a business purpose (e.g. as described under “Research and development” above).
If you have elected to receive marketing emails from us, we retain information about your marketing preferences while you elect to opt-in. We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with our products and services, or as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
How we protect the information we collect
Miovision makes reasonable efforts to ensure that any personal information you provide is maintained in a secure environment. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. While we strive to protect your personal information, Miovision cannot warrant the security of any personal information you transmit to us or from our on-line services, and you do so at your own risk.
Miovision has implemented and maintains reasonable and appropriate security measures, procedures and practices to protect against the loss and unauthorized access, use, modification, destruction or disclosure of your personal information while it is in our custody or under our control. For example, we use SSL encryption, firewalls, anti-virus and system security monitoring.
We also limit access to your personal information to those employees, contractors and agents who have a business need to know.
How to access and control your information
You may exercise your right to access, correct, erase, object to processing, and request data portability where applicable in the following ways:
- Change your profile information by accessing the settings or profile page Miovision applications such as DataLink, TrafficLink, or TDO.
- Deactivate your account: In most cases users can deactivate their own accounts within each product or application where the account was created. In some cases account deactivation may require an administrator (either a customer admin or Miovision support agent) to perform the deletion.
- Delete your information: You may email [email protected] for any data deletion request.
- Opt-out of communications: You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us by using the unsubscribe link within each email. Even after you opt out of receiving promotional messages from us, you will continue to receive transactional messages from us regarding our Services. You can opt out of some notification messages in your account settings.
- For all other requests or inquiries, you can contact Miovision support here.
How we transfer your information internally
Miovision processes and stores personal information using our server(s).
European Economic Area (EEA) Notice
Transfers of Personal Information
Miovision is a data controller and responsible for your personal information, which Miovision processes and stores in Canada and the United States. The European Commission has decided that Canada ensures an adequate level of protection of individuals’ personal information. Miovision may use the following safeguards when transferring your personal information to a country, other than Canada, that is not within the EEA:
- Only transfer your personal data to countries that have been deemed by the European Commission to provide an adequate level of protection for personal information;
- Where we use certain service providers, we may use specific contracts which give personal data the same protection it has in the EU.
Your Legal Rights
Under certain circumstances, you may have rights under the data protection laws in relation to your personal information, including the right to:
- Right to request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Right to request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new information you provide to us.
- Right to request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal information to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons, which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
- Right to object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information that override your rights and freedoms.
- Right to request restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal information in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the data’s accuracy; (b) where our use of the information is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it; (c) where you need us to hold the information even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our use of your personal information but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
- Right to request the transfer of your personal information to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your personal information in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
- Right to withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal information. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
Contact Our Privacy Officer
Registered users may contact us with requests that we delete their personal information from our systems, or to request access or correction to their personal information. We will attempt to accommodate such requests to the extent possible. If all such information is deleted from our systems, your account may become deactivated. In any event, we may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law or for legitimate business purposes
The Privacy Officer may be contacted at:
Miovision Technologies Inc.
137 Glasgow St., Suite 110
Canada N2G 4X8
(Last Revised: May 24, 2018)